Established by the family of Katelyn Joy Derstine as a memorial tribute to the profound impact and legacy Katelyn left in her twenty short years on the many lives of the young adults in our Sarasota Community.
Open to Sarasota County High School Senior graduating females meeting the criteria established by the Katelyn Joy Derstine Scholarship Fund, Inc. who plan to further their education at accredited colleges or universities. Each candidate must demonstrate character traits exemplified by Katelyn Joy Derstine through volunteer/community involvement, an essay, and a reference letter from her teacher(s) and/or principal.
Application availability and deadline The application must be completed on-line only at the Katelyn Joy Derstine Scholarship Fund, Inc., www.fly-high-kjd.com by March 31st.
Number and amount of awards
A one-time award of at least $1,000 will be awarded to at least one deserving student(s). The “Fly High Award” recipient(s) will be notified by May 31st.
The award will be presented on the basis of the following criteria:
- A female graduating senior from each of the Sarasota County High Schools who has been accepted by an accredited college, university or educational institution. A racial non-discriminating policy will be acknowledged.
- Achieved a minimum of a 3.0 un-weighted overall GPA during their high school tenure.
- Student has demonstrated community service and extracurricular activities.
Student has demonstrated extraordinary excellence in disciplines in any of the following:
- Dance, Music & Art
- Leadership: served as an officer in student government, club or organization within the school district or community.
- Community Service: Commitment to our local Sarasota Community: I.E., Big Brothers Big Sisters, Mote Marine, etc.
- Submission of an essay of 250 words to be reviewed by the Scholarship Selection Committee. The topic will be revealed annually. An anonymous review of both the application /essay will ensure an unbiased and objective selection of the recipient.
- Results of a possible interview with the Scholarship Selection Committee.
- Two letters of recommendation from high school teachers.
- Meet Requirements of Scholarship, Character, Personality, Purpose and Need.
Scholarship eligibility-criteria will be distributed to the Sarasota County School Board/Scholarship Scene and high school staff annually, as well as available at www.fly-high-kjd.com.
The Scholarship Committee, consisting of the Officers and committee of the Katelyn Joy Derstine Scholarship Fund, Inc. will review all applications on the basis of the selection criteria included in each scholarship description. The committee may interview selected finalists and recommend three or more persons to be awarded scholarships. The number and dollar amount of the scholarships will be determined annually.
Your completed application, the required essay, and letter of recommendation(s) must be submitted to the Katelyn Joy Derstine Scholarship Fund, Inc via www.fly-high-kjd.com by March 31st. Incomplete applications will not be processed. Transcripts are no longer necessary for submission.
Katelyn Joy Derstine Scholarship Fund, Inc.
C/o Mrs. Bambi Famous Kaine, President
6520 Wild Orchid Lane
Sarasota, FL 34241